Has your client updated their details on the body corporate roll?
If you manage a unit, apartment or townhouse in a community titles scheme, and there is a lease in place with a term of six months or more, your client is required to provide details to the body corporate to update their roll.
Under s201 of the Body Corporate and Community Management Act 1997 (Qld) (BCCM Act), property owners are required to provide notice of specific events affecting their lot to the body corporate.
- when a property has been sold;
- if there is a lease or sublease with a term of 6 months or more;
- if a lease or sublease with a term of 6 months or more is terminated; and
- if a person is engaged to act for the owner in the letting or leasing of the lot.
To update the body corporate roll, the BCCM Form 8 can be completed, signed by the relevant parties and sent to the secretary of the body corporate. The BCCM Form 8 is accessible online or in Realworks.
Information about managing lots in community titles schemes
Managing a lot in a community titles scheme can be complex when navigating requirements under both the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008 (Qld) (RTRA Act) and BCCM Act and Regulations.
Did you know that you can access free education materials and advice from the Office of the Commissioner for Body Corporate and Community Management?
This includes materials about:
- making, complying with and enforcing by-laws;
- pet approvals and refusals;
- maintenance responsibilities and what to do when repairs are needed to common property; and
- what fees can be charged by a body corporate to a lot owner.
In addition to information services, the Office of the Commissioner for Body Corporate and Community Management provides dispute resolution services. This includes advice about self-resolution, practice directions to guide parties when experiencing a dispute in community titles schemes, and a conciliation service.
You can contact the Office of the Commissioner for Body Corporate and Community Management on 1800 060 119.
Read more property management articles.