Smoke alarm servicing in rental properties during COVID-19
As the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic continues to escalate, it's vital for property managers to keep updated on the precautions needed to be taken in response to the Australian Government's emergency requirements. Understandably, there is confusion around what's classed as an essential service during this time and agencies may be tempted to cease inspections and maintenance for their rental properties. Agencies are being reminded of their liability should something catastrophic occur, such as a house fire.
Smoke Alarm Solutions will continue to service smoke alarms in the homes of thousands of Queenslanders. However, it's important to be aware of what protective procedures have been implemented to slow the spread of COVID-19 and give peace of mind to both tenants and property managers of homes we are visiting during this time.
Additional Steps for Inspections
At this time, there are many people wary of allowing tradespeople to enter rental properties. To help ease these concerns, Smoke Alarm Solutions are following these safety procedures:
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): Smoke alarm technicians have been equipped with disposable gloves, masks, and coveralls which they will wear to every inspection;
- Entry Notices: Our entry notices feature a message directed to tenants asking them to alert us of any risk of COVID-19 at the property; and,
- Entry Procedure: Before entering a property, our technicians are asking tenants if anyone in the property has tested positive to the coronavirus or is in home isolation. If there is any risk that the technician may be exposed or that home isolation rules will be broken, the smoke alarm inspection will be postponed for 4 weeks and you will be notified via email. Similarly, if it isn't possible for technicians to maintain the latest social distancing rules, the smoke alarm inspection will be postponed for 4 weeks and you will be notified via email.
Keeping an open line of communication and supporting each other in this constantly changing environment is so important during this time. Property managers are encouraged to:
- Alert us of known cases of COVID-19: Continue to keep us aware of any unfolding COVID-19 situations including tenants in self-isolation;
- Alert us of changes to inspection procedures: If your agency wishes to change inspection procedures or temporarily close during this period, please make us aware and we will work with you on the best way to provide our services; and,
- Contact us via email: Like many other offices, Smoke Alarm Solutions has moved to a remote working environment. Although property managers are still able to use phone lines to contact us, our response times may be delayed due to technical changes in our system.
15 Nov 2019
3 min read
Are your property transactions safe from cybercrime?
The property market is the perfect playground for cybercriminals - large sums of money are constantly being transferred between parties with the majority of communications sent via email.
15 Nov 2019
5 min read
Be careful what you do with confidential information
The recent settlement of a claim between a real estate agency and a former employee serves as a timely reminder to real estate professionals that utilising a former employer's confidential client information can be very costly.