From 30 April: Updates to COVID-19 Response for Residential Tenancies
The Queensland Government has recently announced some changes to the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation (COVID-19 Emergency Response) Amendment Regulation 2021.
While some important temporary regulatory measures will continue until 30 September 2021, others have ceased from April 30th, 2021.
Please take note of the changes below:
Measures that continue to apply
Until 30 September 2021:
- provisions allowing tenants experiencing domestic and family violence to end their tenancies quickly
- protections for tenants against being listed in a tenancy database for rent arrears caused by COVID-19 impacts
- limits on re-letting costs for eligible tenants who end their fixed term tenancies early
- short term tenancy statement extensions for moveable dwellings.
Measures no longer in place
From 30 April 2021:
- Entry restrictions and requirements to support COVID-19 social distancing measures
- Relaxed repair and maintenance obligations.
From 29 September 2020:
- The 6-month eviction moratorium for COVID-19 rent arrears
- Fixed term agreement extensions for COVID-19 impacted tenants
- Ending agreement provisions that prevent property owners ending tenancies with COVID-19 impacted tenants without grounds and provide additional grounds for parties to end tenancies (owner occupation and sale of premises which require vacant possession)
- Adjusted rent and bond processes that support parties to negotiate arrangements to manage COVID-19 impacts on their tenancies
- Mandatory conciliation of COVID-19 related tenancy disputes through the Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA).
REIQ members wanting to discuss any aspect of COVID-19 Response for Residential Tenancies can contact the REIQ Property Management Support Service during business hours on 1300 MYREIQ (697 347) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.