• 15 Apr 2021
  • 2 min read
  • By The REIQ

Do I need to pay fringe benefits tax for providing a work car to staff?

Fringe Benefits Tax, Car

Providing a work car to agency staff is undoubtedly a great incentive.

However, the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) is reminding agency owners that they may need to pay fringe benefits tax (FBT) if they're providing a car to employees for their private use.

You make a car available for private use by an employee on any day that the car is either:

  • actually used for private purposes by an employee
  • available for the private use of the employee.
A car is considered available for your employee's private use when it is:
  • used to travel to and from work
  • not at your premises and they are allowed to use it for private purposes
  • garaged at their home - regardless of whether they have permission to use it for private purposes.
For FBT purposes, a 'car' includes:
  • a sedan or station wagon
  • any other goods-carrying vehicle with a carrying capacity of less than one tonne, such as a panel van or utility (including four-wheel drive vehicles)
  • any other passenger-carrying vehicle designed to carry fewer than nine passengers.
If you're not sure if you're providing a car fringe benefit, the ATO's virtual introductory sessions can help. You can register by selecting a date and time that suits you.

Next steps:

Find out about:

Find out more facts on Agency Practice.

Start your Real Estate Career

Our approach to training is career focussed to support all members of the profession. 

From accredited training to start your career to upskilling courses that advance your career, the REIQ keeps you a real step ahead.

Need help? 1300 697 347 or contact us