New arrangements for the QCAT tribunal commencing next week
The Real Estate Institute of Queensland (REIQ) advises members that as a result of the emerging and evolving COVID-19 situation, the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) is taking appropriate and proportionate measures to provide healthy and safe working conditions for QCAT members, staff and the public who access QCAT’s services.
To ensure QCAT can continue to deliver essential justice services to the people of Queensland, changes are being put in place from Monday, 23 March 2020 to all QCAT proceedings listed in regional centres before Magistrates. These include:
1. Hearings in all non-urgent Minor Civil Disputes listed commencing the week of Monday, 23
March 2020 shall be adjourned to a date to be fixed;
2. Hearings in all urgent Minor Civil Disputes will proceed as listed;
3. All Directions Hearings and Compulsory Conferences listed for the week commencing
Monday, 23 March 2020 shall be conducted by telephone; there are to be no personal
appearances in and Directions Hearings and Compulsory Conferences next week;
4. In all other hearings listed for the week commencing Monday, 23 March 2020 which are not
- The parties are to be encourages to attend by telephone, but on the basis that if they attend by telephone they will not be able to file or tender any further material on the day of the hearing; and,
- If a party nevertheless insists on appearing in person, they must provide written reasons for wishing to proceed in that manner, in which case it will be a matter for the relevant member to determine, in their discretion, whether the proceeding shall proceed or be adjourned to a date to be fixed.
5. All Guardianship matters shall proceed in accordance with the present listing for the week
commencing Monday, 23 March 2020 but on the basis that parties are strongly encouraged
to attend by telephone.
6. Only telephone mediations conducted at QCAT by the Dispute Resolution Branch shall
proceed as listed during the week commencing Monday, 23 March 2020; any other
mediations shall be adjourned to a date to be fixed.
7. Every party, witness and member of the public who wishes to attend in person at a QCAT
hearing during the week commencing Monday, 23 March 2020 shall, before being admitted
to the hearing room, provide written details of their full name, address, and contact
telephone number and written confirmation that the person:
- Has not been diagnosed with COVID-19;
- Had not been required to submit a COVID-19 test;
- Has not been in close contact with another who already have COVID-19 such as to
require the person to self-quarantine (in accordance with Queensland Government
guidelines and recommendations);
- Is not suffering any symptoms of COVID-19; and,
- Has not returned from overseas within the preceding 14 days.
Should members have any further questions relating to upcoming changes at QCAT, please contact our Property Management Support Service via email firstname.lastname@example.org or our Agency Advice Service via email email@example.com. Alternatively, call 1300 697 347.