LOCKED OUT: Queensland to Close Border to NSW and ACT

Coronavirus, COVID-19, Journal,

August 5 update: As of 1am Saturday, 8 August, Queensland will increase its border restrictions, closing to all of New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory. 

All visitors from NSW and ACT will be denied entry except for rare exemptions. As before, returning Queenslanders will have to spend 14 days in mandatory hotel quarantine at their own expense.

The closure comes after Queensland’s Chief Health Officer declared all of NSW and ACT as hotspots, and the Premier said the hard border closure put Queenslanders first.

“I said that when the moment came, I would not hesitate,” said Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk.

“That moment has arrived. Victoria hasn’t improved as we hoped and I won’t wait for New South Wales to get any worse.

“I will not risk our state’s economic recovery by allowing COVID to spread. I will do everything I can to protect Queenslanders and the economy.”

The border closure will be reviewed at the end of the month.

July 29 update: From 1am Saturday, 1 August, Queensland will close its borders to all of Greater Sydney to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.

Queensland residents returning from the area have been provided an exemption, but must isolate in a hotel for 14 days upon return to the Sunshine State at their own expense.

The closure comes as two new cases of the coronavirus (COVID-19) were recently recorded in Queensland, after two 19-year-old women returned to Brisbane from Melbourne via Sydney without quarantining.

In a statement released earlier today, Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said community transmission had increased in the southern states.

“We have seen more cases of community transmission spreading across a wider area of Sydney,” Premier Palaszczuk said.

“This includes into areas frequented by tourists, travellers and large numbers of Sydney locals.

“Throughout this pandemic we have acted quickly to put the health of Queenslanders first.

“And that’s what we’re doing here.”

The Queensland Government is advising any residents living on the south side of Brisbane, particularly in the Springfield and Logan regions to get tested should they show any symptoms of COVID-19.

The announcement is a timely reminder for real estate professionals that the threat of COVID-19 is ever present. Agents should continue to adhere to the COVID-19 guidelines outlined by Queensland Health (Restrictions on Businesses, Activities and Undertakings Direction (No. 5)).

As a reminder, the REIQ has developed a set of fast facts on COVID-19, as well as specific profession-related guidance for property managers, sales agents, and office staff/principals.

REIQ Members with any further questions can also contact the Property Management Support Service or the Agency Advisory Service on 1300MYREIQ (1300 697 347).

NSW Declared Hotspots (as at 1am August 1, 2020, including LGAs already declared): 

34 (31 new plus three previously declared) local government areas have been declared hotspots by the Chief Health Officer Dr Jeannette Young, meaning as of 1am Saturday August 1, people who have been there within the last 14 days will be turned away at our border unless they are residents. These hotspots are:

Bayside, Blacktown City, Blue Mountains City, Burwood, Camden, Campbelltown City, Canada Bay City
Canterbury-Bankstown, Central Coast, Cumberland, Fairfield City, Georges River, Hawkesbury City, Hornsby Shire, Hunter’s Hill Municipality, Inner West, Ku-ring-gai Lane Cove Municipality, Liverpool City, Mosman Municipality, North Sydney, Northern Beaches, Parramatta City, Penrith City, Randwick City, Ryde City, Strathfield Municipality, Sutherland Shire, Sydney City, The Hills Shire, Waverley, Willoughby City, Wollondilly Shire, Woollahra City.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Subscribe