8 Steps to Selling Property
3. Prepare the Property
It is important to spend a little time freshening up the look of your property, inside and out. The results may not only add to the sale price, but encourage more buyer interest.
Clean, bright and airy residences
- Neutral colours
- Well-landscaped gardens
- Plenty of outdoor living space such as decks and covered patios
- Soft music; and a
- Pleasant fragrance.
Dark, dingy residences
- Unpleasant smells, especially cigarette smoke and animal odours
- Filth and clutter
- Loud noise (e.g. television or radio)
It’s recommended that you:
Clean out cupboards to give an impression of space
- Take away all unnecessary furniture to leave rooms uncluttered
- Fix all obvious faults
- Tidy up yards
- Steam clean and deodorise carpets professionally
- Paint over marked walls to brighten up a room quickly
- Replace brightly coloured curtains and wall colours with neutral tones.
Once the property is prepared it's time to move on to step 6: Inspections